Friday, July 17, 2015

Cambodia

It's hot. 
Reaaallllllly hot.
My hair becomes wet with sweat after 10 minutes in the sun, making it curl and get frizzy and big. My face, my backpack, my armpits, my whole shirt becomes a sweat pool.  But the humidity is good for my voice and (maybe?) my skin. 

The temples at Ankgor were as special as you'd think. So much history and pure craftsmanship poured into 35 years of back-breaking work. 


Now we're in Phnom Penh, the capital. We see relative poverty but according to a woman we met on the bus, it's nowhere near the level of poverty in te rural countryside areas. They just have nowhere to go and nothing to do, no way to make money, nothing to eat. So hordes of people are moving from the country to the cities, which ultimately is unsustainable as well. 
There's a lot of dirtiness and shittiness but there's also a degree of newness as well. We went grocery shopping at AEON mall in Phnom Penh, which might as well be transplanted directly from japan, it has so many of the same products--and prices. 

Later today we're going volunteering with our couch-surfing host, MJ. We're excited to have a unique experience courtesy of her. 

Then tomorrow is our last day in Cambodia! 

No comments:

Post a Comment