Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Hanoi

We're in Hanoi now which is the final city/area of our trip. But we still have about a week left--3 days at Ha Long Bay, 3 days trekking in Sapa, and 1 final day in Hanoi before we fly back. 

Cambodia was beautiful and the people are so kind. Our Couchsurfing host MJ definitely made the experience for us. She took us to a children's home that she volunteers at in the countryside and we played with the kids. There were lots of animals there too. It was easy to see how the countryside is poorer than the city (although the city is poor too.) Everything is dirty. Kids don't have shoes. Lots of corrugated metal roofs, lots of litter. This experience in Cambodia slightly makes me question whether or not I can handle the Peace Corps. MJ was absolutely the best but staying at her apartment was not. No hot water, no flush for the toilet (you just pour water down the bowl), lots of bugs, and in general less seperation between inside and out. I know I WANT to do Peace Corps so that I can learn to love this kind of lifestyle but I really am not used to it. But riding motorbikes with MJ and her friend around the city was super fun :) 

Mai in Ho Chi Minh city also took us out on motorbikes with her and her friends. There really is a rush to it. The wind whipping by feels great. It feels alive. And I never felt unsafe. I just wouldn't want to actually drive one. :x 

I want to say more but my hands hurt and I can't type on this iPhone for very long. 

Ha Long Bay cruise tomorrow! No wifi for 3 days :( update after! 


No comments:

Post a Comment